Good morning everyone! It’s almost St. Patty’s day weekend & it’s Friday!
I have to admit, my Thursday went flying by. I had one of those mornings where I didn’t hear my alarm at all. A usual wake up call at 8am turned into a 10am wake up call. As I woke up, slowly, I laid in bed & thought to myself, “I feel so refreshed…and it’s really bright outside?? There is no way it is before 8am.” I proceed to look over & see my phone lighting up and a big 10:00am flashed in my face. At first I panicked & thought that I had my 10:30am client coming over before realizing I had the wrong day in my head. I felt like my whole day was just off because I woke up later than usual & didn’t have my usual long morning to enjoy.
Anyone else love mornings as much as I do?
I usually take my time & stretch right out of bed, drink my apple pie cleanser, & check my e-mails before enjoying a nice breakfast with my daily cup of coffee with coconut oil & cinnamom in my grounds.
Yesterday, all of that was on turbo-speed and before I knew it, I was out to lunch with some family friends & my mom!
This wasn’t so bad because I enjoyed this genius #powerbowladay combo of arugula, roasted brussels, sea salt roasted beets, red onion, pomegranate seeds, & toasted pepitas! I will be repeating this at home, for sure.
We’re about half way through the challenge but you can still join in!
After fueling up & talking all afternoon with friends, I headed to CrossFit to take on the 13.2 WOD. Talk about a kick butt workout. I will be posting about it once I get all of my pictures together! Anyhow, my day just felt weird but to make a long story even longer, I am back to my normal self today!
So, unless you’re like me and don’t know what day it is, I believe we all know that St. Patty’s Day is this weekend!
Do you have any fun plans happening?
I believe I will be hanging with the family & enjoying a local band! Should be fun. Tracing back to my Irish girl roots, I couldn’t help but get a little creative with GREEN in the kitchen. I was craving Falafels the other day & decided to use what I had in the pantry to make it happen.
I introduce to you…
Black Eyed Pea FalafelCakes w/ Lucky Shamrock Sauce.
- 3 cups of cooked Black Eyed Peas
- I used organic no-salt-added canned.
- 1 Small Onion
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast
- 3-5 cloves of garlic or 1 TB Minced garlic
- 2 TB Buckwheat Flour
- You can sub any flour of choice.
- 1 TB Coconut Aminos (or soy sauce)
- 1/2 TB Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 TB Chili Powder
- Pinch of Cardamom
- (optional but adds a nice flavor)
- 1 tsp sea salt
- fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of sesame seeds for coating the cakes.
- Coconut Oil for “frying” on the stove.
- I used about 1-2 TB
- In a food processor, combine beans, onion, nutritional yeast, & garlic. Pulse until coarse.
- Pour bean mix into a bowl & add flour, coconut aminos, & seasonings.
- Mix all ingredients (with spoon or hands – depending on your mood) until chunky yet combined.
- Form into “cakes” & press each side into the bowl of sesame seeds to coat the outsides.
- Put onto a cookie sheet & refrigerate for at least 1 hour. (SO IMPORTANT: This will firm up the cakes)
- After they are chilled, heat up coconut oil on a medium-heat pan.
- “Fry” each FalafelCake until golden brown on each side. (about 3-4 minutes on each side)
Feelin’ lucky? Add this shamrock sauce for some extra power!
- 1/4 Cup Tahini
- Juice of 1/2 of a lemon
- 1/4 cup of Water
- 1 TB Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 TB Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp of Spirulina (makes this EXTRA healthy & green!)
- I used Nutrex-Hawaii Spirulina
- 1 tsp of Dill
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Sea Salt to taste
- Cracked pepper to taste
- Combine all ingredients & let sit in the fridge to thicken to at least an hour.
Feel free to roast up some green brussel sprouts with sea salt & fresh rosemary to serve along side.
- 350 degrees for about 30 minutes!
I served my FalafelCakes over Acorn Squash rounds, just cut & roasted at 350 for about 30 minutes, with some sundried tomatoes on top.
It’s a perfect #powermeal combo of plant based proteins, clean carbs, healthy fats, & fiber too which is an A++ in my book!
As always, I get a lot of my ingredients from www.iherb.com.
If you’re a first time user you can get a discount with my coupon code XUG228!
Enjoy your weekend & be safe!
Be true to you,