Happy Friday, friends! It’s a gorgeous day here in San Diego & I am loving sitting by the window with the sunshine beaming in as I write this blog post. Today I’m super excited to feature an awesome company that I’ve been working with over the last few months called FitnessGenes.
When they reached out to me they explained that they are a DNA-specific online platform where I would just have to send in a saliva sample and I would then get my “fitness gene” results which would include different things like metabolic tendencies, dietary sensitivities, fat burning capacity, muscle type and recovery time.
If you weren’t aware of this yet — I am a total fitness nerd and love learning about how our body works.
Having worked with clients now over 5 years — I do believe there is a decent amount of “guessing” that goes into the trial and error of learning about our bodies. EVERYONE IS DIFFERENT and that’s something I preach like crazy because the way one person trains or eats doesn’t mean that’s the ONE SIZE FITS ALL APPROACH. (when I go in all capital letters you know I mean business, ha!)
So not only was I anxious to learn about my own FitnessGenes results but also use this as a chance to review something that could truly help you with your fitness journey.
FitnessGenes is the only DNA-specific online platform of its kind that eliminates the guessing game from fitness and nutrition. With a quick DNA kit and customized digital report, FitnessGenes reveals specific genetic traits including metabolic tendencies, dietary sensitivities, fat burning capacity, muscle type and recovery time.
Once results are revealed, you are then provided with a Fat-Loss and Muscle-Building Genetic Training System (GTS) program which provides personalized, week-by-week exercise plans and nutritional recommendations based on your DNA.
The only Fitness DNA analysis company founded by geneticists and doctors
The only female focused, DNA-specific fitness and nutrition product
Led by a top team of doctors and scientists
Collaborations with top universities to carry out proprietary research
Dr. Dan Reardon, co-founder and CEO of FitnessGenes
Dr. Reardon is a medical doctor with an MBChB (UK’s MD equivalent) and a BSc (Bachelors of Science) in Human Anatomy. An emergency room doctor for 10 years, he is also a certified personal trainer with over 15 years in the fitness industry. Dr. Reardon is a fitness writer, 2-time author and Science Editor of Muscle & Fitness and Flex magazines in the UK, Europe and Australia.
I had the opportunity to go over my results with Dr. Dan and he was SUPER nice & full of knowledge.
- I had copies of the gene for speed! I love saying that together. I’m not surprised by this because I’ve always been a sprinter opposed to an endurance runner. What I learned was this boost is possibly due to an increase in the overall size and number of fast-twitch muscle fibres. As a result, this gene is found in elite speed/power athletes.
- I had two copies of the “Fast metaboliser” gene for Caffeine Metabolism. At first I wasn’t sure what that truly meant but Dr. Dan explained to me that I metabolize caffeine very quickly. This made sense because I explained to him that I can literally drink coffee and then take a nap. If I were to use caffeine as a “pre-workout” for an energy boost, I would literally have to drink it directly before I touch the weights or during as I metabolize the caffeine in about 30 minutes.
- I have a gene for appetite (this girl likes to eat!) which basically means that I feel hungry sooner rather than later. I do find that I’m hungry every few hours so I do eat accordingly. There are some days where I eat 3 larger meals and some days I snack — but I definitely feel that I do get hungry quicker. For someone trying to loose weight with this gene it would be smart to have high volume foods with vegetables where you can get more bang for your buck to help with hunger without overeating.
- I am lactose tolerant! I thought it was cool that the test provided this information as I often was curious about my bodies reaction to dairy. I honestly never noticed any issue with it so this test helped me see that I don’t have an intolerance to it. Pretty cool!
- I found that I have 2 genes that are a combination of endurance/speed & power which makes total sense because I love “longer” workouts like a chipper where it’s something like 50 squats, 50 kettlebell swings, & 50 burpees where I’m using endurance and power. I find that I have a good ability to recover quickly so it was cool to see that in the testing.
- The test reveled I am a woman with blue eyes ;] that would be correct! I would’ve questioned that testing if that came back any different.
That was just 6 out of the over 20+ genes that are tested and explained for you. I was LOVING going through and learning about each gene and it’s role in the body.
After you get your results you then get your…
The action blueprint helps show you how many days per week are optimal for training, how many reps would work in your favor, & how many days per week you should be hitting cardio/strength.
From there, you get your training plan which literally walks you step by step.
I have to say — for someone out there looking for a more detailed approach this would be amazing. Also, as a Trainer myself working with online clients, I would highly recommend it as it would be a great tool to have between Trainer/Client to get on a deeper level of fitness/nutrition.
I wanted to try this myself before bringing it you all because you know how much I value staying true to myself & the information on my blog. After having the whole process complete and talking with Dr. Dan I can say that the FitnessGenes program is legit, accurate, & an amazing tool to help you in your own fitness journeys if you’re looking for a more detailed approach.
You can use this [link] to purchase the kit & get started for yourself or just take in all of this information and see that there is truly not a one size fits all approach but it’s all about finding what you enjoy & small steps you can take to get there.
Thank you FitnessGenes for the opportunity to see a deeper look into my own fitness and genes — I’m so thankful for this partnership as I truly learned a TON.
Be true to you,
As always, all opinions are my own. #betruetoyou