Good morning everyone! I hope you are having a great start to your week! This week, I’m challenging myself to drink more water. What is your challenge? Every week I try to make a small goal that is attainable to achieve! Anyway, got home yesterday from my amazing trip with Heather! I will do a full recap tomorrow on the blog The flight went great…probably because I had good company.
Jillian Michael’s & Gaby Bernstein joined me along with some Whole Foods noms of eggplant salad & lentil fennel salad.
SO GOOD. With a side of Starbucks unsweet green tea, per usual.
For our “X” high light – we wanted to feature the Amazing Megan from Instagram.
- @gamene searched far and wide for an “x” themed dish for the challenge! AND of course she found it – XACUTI
Here is Megan’s amazing explanation of this dish – “X is for… XACUTI! I searched far and wide to find a suitable dish or ingredient to highlight on “X”-Day! And man did I hit the jackpot with Xacuti (pronounced SHA-kooti), a Goan (South Indian) curry dish traditionally made with chicken, but here veganized using chewy seitan. It’s absolutely delicious and will definitely be added to my regular dinner rotation — the leftovers only get better as the flavors marry further; it’s good hot or cold (making it a good take-to-work option); it would be good over rice or quinoa, or even in a whole wheat wrap. So, THANK YOU again Heather and Kasey — without this alphabet challenge I might not have ever discovered this gem! The key to xacuti is the curry paste that you grind from a combination of exotic spices. Although the different recipes I sourced used slightly different combinations of spices, my recipe below uses the ingredients that were most commonly repeated from recipe to recipe. You don’t have to go out and buy a whole new spice cabinet’s worth of ingredients to make this, but please do yourself a favor and try out this process of blending your own curry paste — it’s a sensory experience and really make the finished dish your own.”
Isn’t she amazing? IF you’re not following her on Instagram I highly suggest you do!
So, today is “Y” Day for #plantPOWER
stuffed with Caramelized Brussels & Sweet Cinnamon Hummus.
This is a really cool combo of sweet & savory!
*one day, I will have a nice camera & better pictures, I promise!
- 4 Yams/Sweet Potatoes (whichever you prefer)
- 1 pound of brussel sprouts (washed & chopped)
- 1 small yellow onion (washed & chopped)
- 1 bunch of asparagus (washed & ends chopped)
- 2 TB Coconut Oil
Oil Free Sweet Cinnamon Hummus
- 1 can of drained & rinsed chickpeas
- 3 TB Tahini
- 1/2 cup unsweet coconut milk (or nut milk of choice)
- May need additional to make hummus thinner.
- 1 TB of fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 3/4 TB Cinnamon
- 2 tsp Nutmeg
- 2 tsp Ground Ginger
- 1 splash of vanilla extract
- Sea Salt to taste
- (If you like it really sweet, you can add some stevia of your choice)
- Wash & cut yams down the middle.
- Wash & cut off the ends of the asparagus then lay on a cookie sheet & spray with oil of choice.
3. Place halves of potatoes on a sprayed piece of foil on a cookie sheet.
4. Bake the yams & asparagus at 400 degrees for about 25 minutes until tender.
– Yams may need a few more minutes then the asparagus.
5. While the yams bake, add your 2 TB coconut oil to a pan on the stove over medium heat.
6. Chop & add in your small white onion and cook until tender.
7. Add your chopped brussel sprouts & sauté together until browned.
8. Make your hummus by adding the ingredients into a food processor & process until smooth.
**TIP to make hummus smooth – take the time to peel off the skin of each chickpea.
(if you’ve got time to sit & do this…it takes time…trust me.)
9. When yams are cooked, take them out & let cool for a few minutes before spooning out the inside to make “boats”.
Don’t forget to save the insides to make some other awesome recipes!
10. Place the boats back into the oven & bake for another 10 minutes until they harden a bit.
11. Once twice baked, stuff with caramelized brussel sprouts & top with sweet cinnamon hummus.
– I also sprinkled with some hemp seeds & served the asparagus on the side!
Also, check out my girl Heather’s post today & listen to her amazing words!
This girl will change the world with her passion to help others. Mark. My. Words.
Don’t forget you have a few more DAYS to enter the GIVEAWAYS!
- Almond Breeze giveaway
- Brad’s Raw Foods giveaway
- Nutrex Spirulina giveaway
- BAMR Bands giveaway
- Julieanna Hever giveaway
- Mary’s Gone Crackers
- NRG Matrix Giveaway
- Real Food Barre Giveaway
- Shakeology Giveaway
- VEGA Giveaway
You have until February 26 at 5:00 p.m. EST to enter ALL giveaways! GOOD LUCK!!