What’s up everyone! Hope you’re having a great week.
With pumpkin everything going on – I couldn’t help but want to make my pumpkin roll that I created a few years back for the blog. This is a recipe that I am constantly playing with to figure out different ways it will work.
I remember seeing my successful “fueling” pumpkin roll recipe work & I was so pumped. Since a few years ago, I’ve also created a (dairy free) version here with a coconut milk “cream cheese” filling.
My first original recipe called for 5 egg whites and I knew that I could switch some things up so I went with 2 whole eggs & 2 egg whites and it turned out awesome, if I do say so myself.
So here is my updated recipe for you to try! This would make a perfect dessert for Thanksgiving or part of your breakfast with coffee, justttt sayin!
Pumpkin Roll Ingredients:
– 1/2 Cup (gluten free if need be) Oats turned into flour (grind in a blender or magic bullet until fine consistency)
– 1 scoop of Vanilla Protein Powder (about 1/4 cup)
– 1/4 Cup Flax Meal
– 1/2 Cup Pumpkin Puree
– 2 Whole Eggs + 2 Egg Whites
– 1/2 Cup Sugarless Sugar
– 1 TB Cinnamon
– Splash of Vanilla Extract
– 3 tsp All Spice
– Dash of Sea Salt
– 1 tsp Baking Powder
[original recipe pictures]
Greek Yogurt Filling Ingredients:
– 1 cup Plain Greek Yogurt (I used Chobani)
– 1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
– Splash of Vanilla Extract
– Sprinkle of All Spice (I like the flavor in my filling!)
– 1/4 Cup Sugarless Sugar
* I also added 1 tsp of xanthan gum to make it more of an “icing consistency”. Xanthan gum is a thickener.
Use code “XUG228” for $5 off your iherb.com order for any order under $40 and $10 off any order over $40.
Here are my original directions:
Directions for Filling:
- Combine your greek yogurt, chia seeds, vanilla, all spice, optional xanthan gum, & sweetener & mix together.
- Set in the fridge so it will “thicken” while you prepare your pumpkin roll.
Directions for Pumpkin Roll:
- Grind your Oats into Flour in a food processor or magic bullet.
- Add all dry ingredients into a bowl & mix.
- Add in your eggs, pumpkin, & vanilla – mixing thoroughly.
- Once the pumpkin mix is blended together, it should be a thick batter.
- Put the batter onto a parchment lined & sprayed cookie sheet in a long rectangle shape.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for about 14 minutes or until firm.
7. Once cooled for a few minutes out of the oven, flip the pumpkin roll onto a towel dusted with some cinnamon & sugarless sugar (or coconut sugar would be good here!).
8. Peel back the paper carefully – Sprayed parchment paper comes off much cleaner than mine did!
9. Once parchment is rolled off, roll the towel in with the pumpkin roll until you make a nice log.
10. I secured the ends so the cinnamon/sugar mix wouldn’t spill out.
11. Let cool (outside if chilly enough) or inside until completely cool.
12. Once cooled, unroll carefully & spread the coconut chia frosting on the roll.
13. Roll back up the pumpkin roll without the towel into a nice log.
14. Cut the ends off (to eat, duh!) and serve to friends, family, & yourself immediately or store in the fridge for a few days!
**I suggest testing out your frosting before you spread it on the roll to make sure it’s sweet enough for your liking! Either add more sugarless sugar or add some liquid stevia until sweet enough for you! (or other sweetness)
**Also this is more of a “dense” cake roll and not so “fluffy” like an original pumpkin roll – just FYI. I love having it in the fridge throughout the week and topping with peanut butter.
*code KASEY will get you a discount at CrazyRichards.com
If you try it out — let me know! I absolutely love this recipe and really enjoy making it.
Be true to you,
What is your favorite fall recipe?