Protein Lasagna! [Recipe]

November 28, 2017 -
2 comments, add yours

Happy Tuesday, friends!

I hope you had an awesome Thanksgiving with your friends & family! We always go home for 2 weeks around Christmas so we stay in Rhode Island for turkey day.


This year, my client Mary-Ann had us over for Thanksgiving and it was so great to be around people who truly feel like family when we’re away from our own.


Over here we’re out of leftovers (sadly) which means it’s time for me to make my new go-to recipe that I’ve been making for the past few weeks…and haven’t gotten sick of!

98% of you asked for it whenever I put out a poll on my Instagram stories…and the other 2% of you may just not like lasagna? ha!


Ok…so technically lasagna can already be higher in protein based on your meat filling & cheeses, but with the addition of the Explore Asian Lasagna noodles (amazon link!) — you’ve got about 20g of protein per serving of this Lasagna!

I’m quite obsessed with these noodles.

Another little hint to “buffing” up this lasagna is that I use mushrooms cooked down with my meat of choice (I’ve done turkey or beef in this recipe, both work!) to add some more bulk to my “meat sauce” & spinach to get in some extra veggies and volume.

IMG_1313 Macronutrient breakdown per slice (mine made 9 servings)
~ [11 fat / 18 carbs / 20 protein] 
*estimated/plugged into MyFitnessPal


  • 1 Box Of Explore Asian Lasagna Noodles
  • 2 Jars of Spaghetti Sauce (of choice)*
  • 1 Pound of Grass Fed Ground Beef or Turkey*
  • 1 Container of Part Skim Ricotta Cheese*
  • 1 Egg*
  • 1 Bag of Mozzarella Cheese*
  • 2 Small Containers of baby Puertobella Mushrooms*
  • 1 Bag of Spinach*
  • 1 TB Oil of Choice (I used Now Foods Official Avocado Oil)*
  • Salt & Pepper to taste

*Organic Ingredient


  1. Cook down your mushrooms in 1 TB of oil until all liquid is gone.
  2. While your mushrooms cook down, in a separate bowl, add your ricotta cheese & 1 egg together in a bowl and mix thoroughly & season with Salt & Pepper before placing off to the side until you are making your layers.
  3. To your mushrooms, add in your ground meat and cook with mushrooms until meat is browned.
  4. Add your bag of spinach & let cook down.
  5. Mix your meat/veggie mixture with 1 jar of your Spaghetti sauce (this is your “meat filling” layer).
  6. In a 13X9 baking dish, put a layer of your meat sauce.
  7. Add 3 of the lasagna noodles on top to fit in the dish.
  8. Add another layer of your meat mixture.
  9. Add 3 big spoonfuls of the Ricotta mixture & spread evenly.
  10. Sprinkle about 1/4-1/2 cup of your mozzarella on top of ricotta mixture.
  11. REPEAT STEPS 7-10 two more times until your top layer ends with your 9th noodle (I did not use the whole box of noodles for this as my pan did not allow).
  12. Once you’ve finished with your noodles, use your other jar of sauce to cover the top of the lasagna (I used about 1/2 of my extra jar) and then top with mozzarella cheese.
  13. Cover the baking dish with foil.
  14. Bake at 400 degrees for about 40-45 minutes.
  15. Let sit for about 15 minutes to set up & THEN ENJOY!

May seem a bit crazy, BUT it really is such a simple recipe and with these NO BOIL noodles you can’t go wrong!

Even if you do the layers differently or use different amounts, it will still work in the end.

NO need to be perfect! ;]

Let me know if you try this! It’s SO good and great for meal prep.

Be true to you,

xo Kasey



Category: Blog, Recipe

Tags: , , ,

2 responses to “Protein Lasagna! [Recipe]”

  1. Explore Asian is one of my favorite legume-based pasta companies! I haven’t tried their lasagna noodles yet, but they sound amazing! Looks like your lasagna was a winner! And I LOVE eggplant in any pasta dish!

  2. Anna Bradley says:

    You got a winning combination here. I love this lasagna recipe. I had made this long ago and forgotten where I saved the recipe. Today I tracked it down and made it. Yum. Love all the protein and amazing tastes. Even after 5 years you remember something you liked 🙂

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.