Helloooo everyone! I originally had another post planned for today but something happened yesterday that changed my plans….Don’t get worried – I had a successful attempt at a Dairy Free Broccoli “Cheddar” Soup!!
I honestly don’t stay away from dairy 100% (insert feta cheese here), BUT my digestion usually can digest veggies better than too much dairy & I know many people that are always looking for Dairy Free alternatives to their favorite foods! (be true to you, right!?) You’re probably wondering where the “cheddar” dairy free-ness comes from…well, would you be shocked to know that I used my all time favorite “cheesy” ingredient; Nutritional Yeast!
You can click this link here to find out more about this ingredient but basically this yeast is grown on enriched purified cane and beet molasses under carefully controlled conditions. This is a primary grown yeast and is therefore not a brewery by-product as is brewer’s yeast. It also happens to be loaded with b vitamins, fiber, protein, & lots of other benefits. It also yields a “cheesy” smooth flavor that goes good on everything!
I use it in a bunch of recipes that you can find by just searching the words “nutritional yeast” on my blog – which I happened to already do for you!
Ok, back to the SOUP!
I originally planned on creating a basic butternut squash soup but then started craving a Broccoli Cheddar spin on my original recipe because most of us can’t deny the delicious combo of these two ingredients.
If you’re anything like me….I love me some Broccoli Cheddar Soup (especially in a bread bowl) so while I try to figure out a gluten free bread bowl (you KNOW it’s on my epic to-do list) , feel free to take a look at my new hybrid creation – Broccoli “Cheddar” Butternut Squash Soup!
Loaded with POWER like vitamins, minerals, proteins, healthy fats, carbs, & flavor!
[Dairy Free, Soy Free, Gluten Free, & Full Of Power!]
– 3 TB Minced Garlic
– 3 TB Coconut Aminos
*(or soy sauce –but coconut aminos is a soy free alternative for those who stay away from soy – this could also be left out – just added for flavor!)
– 1 Medium Yellow Onion
– 6 Leaves of fresh Sage (or one small package)
– 2 tsp ginger (powder)
– 1 Small Package of Frozen Mushrooms (could use one small container of fresh mushrooms – they will be blended regardless and help with the “creaminess”)
– 2 Medium Bags of Frozen Broccoli
– 1 Medium/Large Butternut Squash
– 1.5 Cups of Organic Low Sodium Chicken Stock
– 1.5 Cups Vegetable Stock (or 3 cups total of stock if you don’t want to use chicken stock)
-7 oz. (half container) of So Delicious Culinary Cooking Coconut Milk
– 1 Cup Nutritional Yeast
– Sea Salt & Pepper To Taste
- Roast your Frozen Broccoli & Butternut Squash
– Broccoli: Put on a lined pan, spray with oil or toss in a splash of Grapeseed Oil (or oil of choice), & season with sea salt & pepper.
– Butternut Squash: Wash squash, chop off both ends to make a flat surface for cutting, slide your knife (carefully) down the sides to remove the hard skin, chop into pieces, put on a lined pan, toss with a splash of Grapeseed Oil.
- Put Broc & Squash into a 400 degree oven for about 40-45 minutes until squash is tender & broccoli is a bit browned.
- Once both veggies are roasted, add your 2 TB Grapeseed oil, minced garlic, coconut aminos, fresh chopped sage, ginger, & chopped onion to a soup pot on a medium heat stove & cook until the onion is caramelized.
*(adding the sage at this point also brings out the flavor since it’s heated with the garlic, onion, & oil!)
- Once caramelized, add frozen mushrooms & butternut squash (not the broccoli yet) until combined, and good for a few minutes.
Once the veggies have become friends – add in your 3.5 cups of stock. (of course my girl Rach had to make an appearance)
- Bring stock & veggies to a low boil & simmer for a good 10 minutes until the flavors have truly combined.
- After simmer, take the heat down, & CAREFULLY ladle the chunky soup into a large blender.
– I suggest blending in batches because the heated soup will expand once it mixes and we don’t need any 3 degree burns during this process!
- Blend the chunky soup – about a few minutes in the blender until smoooooooth.
- Carefully pour the soup back into the soup pot on the stove on low heat.
- Stir in the nutritional yeast, roasted broccoli, & any salt or pepper to taste at this point.
- Simmer the creamy soup for a good 30 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Serve hot or allow to cool – & ENJOY!
- I added some sundried tomatoes & sunflower seeds on top for crunch.
As always, you can find some of these ingredients on www.iHerb.com for a $5 off any order under $40 and $10 off any order over $40 for first time users! Simple as that – just use coupon code XUG228.
Don’t forget you can get your own coupon code as well – just sign up through the website so you can share it with others!
I’m off to get some cleaning done….OH and I should probably tell you that I also just re-did my POWER PUMPKIN ROLL recipe & I’m trying a DAIRY FREE frosting twist on my old recipe…..interested in that? Then say some prayers that my recipe works tonight & maybe I can get it up tomorrow in time for Thanksgiving!!
Enjoy your night guys!
be true to you,
Are you a Broccoli Cheddar Soup fan?
Let me know if you try this Dairy Free version!